[opensuse] Re: recommend me a password manager?
  • From: email.listen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 23:09:24 +0100
Am Sun, 7. January 2007 15:44 schrieb Zhang Weiwu:
> Dear All
>
> I have been comparing all different password managers for some time, and
> run pwman on FreeBSD and Figaro's Password Manager on SuSE 10.1 for some
> months (not satisfied by FPM). Now I have a fresh 10.2 installation and
> I am looking for suggestions on the list.
>
> It seems there are too few avaiable password managers on the SuSE
> sources. What I need is pretty simple: I need a password manager that
> either work as X application or as console application. As X application
> it should use gtk2 (not gtk1) and better be dockable to the notification
> area or run as gnome panel applet. That's all ^_^

May be revelation will [1] fullfill your needs.
It's a gtk2 application and has a gnome-panel applet.
But afaik it is not for console use / don't accept console commands for
opening it's stored data.

> pwman is not found on SuSE as wellas on packman/Guru package collection.

You may compile it from the source tarball?
Such small applications will compile quite easy and flawless, mostly.

> Actually I cannot find ANY password manager on official SuSE package
> repository and packman/guru. Or I simply missed them?
Hhhm, there is at least kwallet, which definetely is on the SUSE repositories.
I would asume it's more the common 'needle in the haystack' phenomena. :-))

[1] http://oss.codepoet.no/revelation/

regards,
thomas