Re: [opensuse] Updates
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:05:58 -0900
On Sunday 07 January 2007 10:12, Robert Lewis wrote:
> jdd wrote:
> > J. Scott Thayer M.D. wrote:
> >> all appears to be well. I suspect it was just a matter of my
> >> registration,
> >
> > some mirrors are faulty and get wrong results (may be just overloaded
> > at the time)
> > jdd
>
> What I am seeing is a mirror that worked well for a week suddenly stops
> working
> with dependency check errors or other things.  I have then gone to YaST and
> had it just find another mirror and everything will start working again.

I think OpenSUSE/NOVELL should set up a round-robin mirror assignment facility
that would assign the least busy mirror from a list that is checked for
reachability by the novell site and also by the client trying to do an update.

Rather than everybody picking a mirror and overloading it, this would load
balance and assure a proper mirror. This "meta-mirror" would be a choice
but not a required selection.

This probably should be done without regard to location (unless the lawyers
get involved again) because mirrors in Germany are usually not busy
in the wee hours of the german nignt and are faster for me than mirrors
900 miles away.

If this approach is good enough for NTP it seems like it should
work for updates as well.