Re: [opensuse] Novell Trumpets Support for Open Source Development
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 12:59:51 -0500
On Saturday 06 January 2007 01:40, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Novell Trumpets Support for Open Source Development
>
> Novell moved Wednesday to underscore its support for free software
> development after volunteer technical support collapsed for rival Red
> Hat's free Linux version. Novell spokesperson Kevan Barney said the
> downfall of Red Hat's Fedora Legacy Project only strengthens Novell's
> commitment to its own partnership with open source, or free, software
> developers worldwide.
>
> See the Full Story:
> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/54997.html

"Statistics back up Novell's contention. In the past month, Open Suse
supplanted Ubuntu as the No. 1 choice, according to the download
access-tracking DistroWatch.com Web site. Fedora? It fell to No. 3."

Although the above statement is most likely true.... I don't think
Distrowatch's figure are a true measure of much of anything.

SuSE just release 10.2 a few weeks ago for download. Thus, there are a lot
of downloads of it. Ubuntu is due for a release sometime soon but hasn't
released its next version yet. Expect it to become No. 1 when it is
released and some of the 10.2 downloads have lessened.

Not a very scientific way of measuring popularity. Just my $.02