Re: [opensuse] test of sending to list using TEXT not HTML
  • From: "Geir A. Myrestrand" <geir.myrestrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:06:07 -0500

The Friday 2007-01-05 at 15:46 -0500, Geir A. Myrestrand wrote:

Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:

I send and receive lots of e-mails which contain equations. I just prepare
them using any equation editor and paste them as pictures in my HTML e-mail.
So I raise my both hands ;)
Note that you can send images without using HTML. Just make references to the
attached images if necessary. There are also document formats you can use for
this that will serve your content better.

With html the image is shown inserted in the right place in the text flow. With plain text he would be forced to look it up. This is comparable to having books with the images printed in a separata in the middle of the book, because the printing machine can't handle it.

I know, that is why I said he can make a reference to the image (like what is frequently done in both magazines and books), or use a separate document that is either attached to the message or referenced via a URL for example. The latter is better if it has to be an inline image that is directly next to the associated text. Otherwise the "connect the dots" solution is often good enough IMO.

Web sites use html. Nobody tells them to use plain text. Html is not evil per se.

Agree.

Use of html by evil people can be evil. That's different.

Use of HTML in e-mail is evil (at least on a mailing list), no matter whether the person is evil or not. Well, that is my opinion. ;-)

Most people probably don't care or disagree, and I am fine with that. We don't all have to agree (or disagree). I just voiced my opinion when someone voiced theirs.

If you can't express yourself in pure text, then I don't want to see how you express yourself with HTML --at least not in an e-mail... ;-)

I have to admit I receive regular e-mails in HTML too, by choice. Some content is more about presentation than the message, but to me it feels more like one of those things that was made because it was possible and not because it should be done.

HTML messages are an excellent feed for spam filters though, maybe more useful for that than for "artistic expressions".

Maybe too much are shoe-horned into the old Internet e-mail standards to be backwards compatible. Wonder if we're ever going to see something like a new generation of e-mail standards that goes beyond what is in SMTP/ESMTP and associated standards today.

--

Geir A. Myrestrand