Re: [opensuse] Were not using Google enough
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:26:19 -0800
On Friday 05 January 2007 08:14, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> See
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=fedora%2Cubuntu%2Csuse%2Credhat%2Copen
>suse&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
>
> I just was reading on another list a discussion of what it means.
> ie. Lots of Ubuntu queries, fewer suse and fedora queries. No one
> had any real ideas.

Here's a reasonable interpretation:

Ubuntu has more Linux newbies who need more basic information and has a
user base that relies more heavily on generic sources of information
such as Google. Fedora attracts more sophisticated and experienced
Linux users who are more self-reliant and makes more use of
Fedora-specific forums to resolve issues. SuSE Linux users are even
more self-reliant than Fedora users. OpenSUSE is clearly a minority
taste so far... And poor Redhat...dying on the vine. Or maybe its users
are using paid support from Redhat.

Of course, the problem with this is that without a knowledge of the
population of users and / or installed systems in each of those
categories, it's impossible to say much at all.

> FYI: I'm not on the OT list, but maybe this should go there. Excuse
> me if that is the case.
>
> Greg

Randall Schulz