Re: [opensuse] Sending mail via my ISP relay using sendmail
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:15:06 -0500
On Friday 05 January 2007 6:32 am, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Friday 2007-01-05 at 00:28 -0500, Paul Abrahams wrote:
> > I'm trying to send mail through my ISP using sendmail (postfix under the
> > covers). I have to use sendmail because the actual application is the
> > PHP5 "mail" command, and that command uses sendmail. My ISP requires a
> > username and password to accept the relay; this protocol goes under the
> > name of SMTP AUTH.

> > How can I track down the reason the mail isn't arriving?

Aha! The log contains this:

Jan 5 10:46:59 suillus postfix/smtp[7947]: 15FEE9CE00: to=<abrahams@xxxxxxx>,
relay=smtp.comcast.net[206.18.177.17]:25, delay=7.1,
delays=6.5/0.02/0.42/0.16, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
smtp.comcast.net[206.18.177.17] said: 550 [PERMFAIL] acm.org requires valid
sender domain (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I took the suggestions of several other people and still get this result:

Joachim Schrod suggested changing the sendmail call to something like this:

sendmail -t -v