Re: [opensuse] Copying *to* USB disk is slower than copying *from*
  • From: Svend Tollak Munkejord <stm-direct_reply@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 15:51:48 +0100
On 2007-01-05, <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Svend Tollak Munkejord wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I run Opensuse 10.2 on a Dell Precision M70 Laptop. I have noticed
>> that there is a very large difference in the speed when copying files
>> to or from an external USB harddisk (ReiserFS-formatted). I have
>> tested the speed by copying a 1155 MB file:
>>
>> Copy to USB-disk: 2.18 MB/s
>> Copy from USB-disk: 25.5 MB/s
>>
>> Is this normal? If not, what can I do to speed up the copying to the
>> USB disk? (It would be nice if I could speed up my backups.)
>>
>> Incidentally, my USB-disk also has a FAT partition. When copying to
>> the FAT partition, the speed was 23.2 MB/s! How can this be? I
>> wouldn't like to format the whole USB disk with FAT, because of file
>> names and attributes, etc., so I hope there are other solutions.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> in kde, right click on the device and look for a tab with options,
> some are faster (but less secure, don't remove the usb device too fast)

Thanks for the tip. Using Konqueror, I unchecked the options
"Synchronous" and "Acces time updates". That helped; now the copy-to
speed is as fast as the copy-from speed.

What do these options actually do? Are they not safe to use as long as
I use the "safely remove" function before unplugging the USB disk?

Regards,
--
Svend Tollak Munkejord