[opensuse] Copying *to* USB disk is slower than copying *from*
  • From: Svend Tollak Munkejord <stm-direct_reply@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:51:53 +0100
Hi,

I run Opensuse 10.2 on a Dell Precision M70 Laptop. I have noticed
that there is a very large difference in the speed when copying files
to or from an external USB harddisk (ReiserFS-formatted). I have
tested the speed by copying a 1155 MB file:

Copy to USB-disk: 2.18 MB/s
Copy from USB-disk: 25.5 MB/s

Is this normal? If not, what can I do to speed up the copying to the
USB disk? (It would be nice if I could speed up my backups.)

Incidentally, my USB-disk also has a FAT partition. When copying to
the FAT partition, the speed was 23.2 MB/s! How can this be? I
wouldn't like to format the whole USB disk with FAT, because of file
names and attributes, etc., so I hope there are other solutions.

Regards,
--
Svend Tollak Munkejord