[opensuse] rug doesn't use an alternative proxy server, SUSE 10.1
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:42:05 +0100
Hi,

I have a problem with forcing rug to use an alternative proxy server.

I have a machine with SUSE Linux 10.1 (X86-64) which must use a proxy
server but rug cannot perform large updates in this configuration:

milou:~ # rug update
Resolving Dependencies...

The following packages will be installed:
OpenOffice_org 2.0.2-27.15 (http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/suse/update/10.1)
OpenOffice_org-gnome 2.0.2-27.15 (http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/suse/update/10.1)
OpenOffice_org-kde 2.0.2-27.15 (http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/suse/update/10.1)

Transaction...

Transaction failed: Need media 1: Curl error for: http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/suse/update/10.1/rpm/i586/OpenOffice_org-2.0.2-27.15.i586.rpm: Error code: Timeout reached Error message: Callback aborted

The proxy is defined in /etc/sysconfig/proxy as
http://proxy.lio.se:8080/. I suspect the problem is because of the
slow response of the proxy. (It probably scans files for viruses.)

As a workaround, I defined a new proxy in rug via:

rug set-prefs proxy-username alexandr.malusek@xxxxxxxxxx
rug set-prefs proxy-url http://proxy.hu.liu.se:9999/
rug set-prefs proxy-password ****** (replaced with *)

and restarted rug ("rczmd stop", "rczmd start") to make sure the new
settings are used. Rug remembers the new settings:

milou:~ # rug get-prefs | grep proxy
proxy-password | **** | Proxy Password
proxy-url | http://proxy.hu.liu.se:9999/ | Proxy URL
proxy-username | alexandr.malusek@xxxxxxxxxx | Proxy Username

but when I start "rug update", netstat shows that a connection to the
old proxy is opened

milou:~ # netstat|grep -i proxy
tcp 0 0 milou.internal.cm:58705 proxy.lio.se:http-alt ESTABLISHED

and rug fails as before. Therefore I think it doesn't use the new
proxy (http://proxy.hu.liu.se:9999/). How can I fix the problem?

Note that the old proxy doesn't require a password and so I prefer it
as a system setting:
milou:~ # env | grep -i proxy
http_proxy=http://proxy.lio.se:8080/
ftp_proxy=http://proxy.lio.se:8080/