Re: [opensuse] Problems installing 10.2 on 256 mb system
  • From: Damon Register <damon.register@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:16:24 -0500
J Sloan wrote:
I just installed 10.2 on an old compaq Pentium 500 box with 9 G drive and 256
MB RAM - there were no problems at all with the install, but I only use it as
a firewall/dns/dhcp server. If I were to use it as a desktop I'd use a
lightweight wm, (xfce, icewm etc) or else bump up the RAM to 512 MB.

I am doing the same as you, almost. I have a Pentium 233 system with
only 96MB RAM. I have been using this for some time as a NAT router
and server with SuSE 9.0. A while ago I tried SuSE 10.0 but that
dragged the PC down to a crawl and would not install in my lifetime.
I scrapped the project and did not even use SuSE at all for a while.
Instead I used Solaris 10 for the file server on an Ultra20. I was
thinking about trying SuSE 10.2 but was a bit uncertain with reports
of problems like this on older systems. Yesterday I tried SuSE 10.2
on the old PC and was quite surprised. SuSE 10.2 installed with no
trouble on the Pentium 233 with only 96MB RAM. I did get the message
about insufficient RAM but it found the previously created swap
partition and continued with the install.

I never could figure out how to get Ipfilter and Solaris to do a
NAT router without something easy like SuSEfirewall2 to do the
configuration so maybe I can get a router working again.

A little off topic, does anyone know if it is possible to duplicate
the SuSEfirewall2 created ruleset to work with Ipfilter so I could do
something similar with Solaris?

Damon Register