Re: [opensuse] Question for iPod users out there!
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:46:12 +0100
On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 23:25 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm planning to buy an ipod and after googling for "linux+ ipod" I think I'm
> going to use GTKpod. I have a question though...
>
> Assuming my iPod is already formatted with FAT32, isn't it just a matter of
> mounting the ipod and copy my mp3's to some specific folder on the "mounted
> drive"? Why do I need an app? I initially thought that the ipod (Nano 2G in
> this case) wasn't perceived as an "USB mass storage device" but I'm confused
> now :(

You can of course browse the file system on the ipod. However, music
files are not stored with their original names. They are renamed to odd
names. Track info is all taken from the ID3 tags (NOT the file names)
and placed in a database. That is also what makes it a challenge to
simply copy mp3 music files off the ipod. gtkpod makes this easy. Note
also that konqueror has an ipod: service that makes reading from the
ipod very easy.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB