[opensuse] Kerberos authentication on SuSE 10.2: Incorrect net address?
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:14:57 +0800
Hello. I also manage several FreeBSD hosts and use SuSE 10.2 as my
desktop OS. On server side a lot of settings are needed however client
setting (to set a client to be able to authenticate with kerberos) is
extremely simple, just copy the server's /etc/krb5.conf to client
computer (same path) and that's enough. Use 'telnet server' on client
will automatically encrypt the telnet session (verified with packet
sniffer).

The same doesn't work on SuSE 10.2. I did set /etc/krb5.conf in suse,
but doing a telnet to the server from SuSE desktop establish telnet
connection *not-encrypted*.

I also tried to manually aquire ticket in order to check what's wrong,
and I cannot get the ticket:

zhangweiwu@joe:~> kinit
Password for zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx:mysecret
Exception: krb_error 38 Incorrect net address (38) Incorrect net address
KrbException: Incorrect net address (38)
at sun.security.krb5.KrbAsRep.<init>(KrbAsRep.java:66)
at sun.security.krb5.KrbAsReq.getReply(KrbAsReq.java:486)
at sun.security.krb5.KrbAsReq.getReply(KrbAsReq.java:444)
at
sun.security.krb5.internal.tools.Kinit.sendASRequest(Kinit.java:310)
at sun.security.krb5.internal.tools.Kinit.<init>(Kinit.java:239)
at sun.security.krb5.internal.tools.Kinit.main(Kinit.java:106)
Caused by: KrbException: Identifier doesn't match expected value (906)
at sun.security.krb5.internal.KDCRep.init(KDCRep.java:133)
at sun.security.krb5.internal.ASRep.init(ASRep.java:58)
at sun.security.krb5.internal.ASRep.<init>(ASRep.java:53)
at sun.security.krb5.KrbAsRep.<init>(KrbAsRep.java:50)
... 5 more

This is strange. The FreeBSD host right after this desktop works fine.
After googled a bit I found this person have the same problem:
http://www.stacken.kth.se/lists/heimdal-discuss/2003-04/msg00031.html

It seems 4 years ago Geoff Beaumont finally couldn't get an answer from
lists. (Pretty interesting to see nothing related to Kerberos has been
changed on SuSE for the 4 years so his description of the problem is
still same as mine.) I guess now SuSE English list is so hot probably
someone can help me with this question?