[opensuse] live mic
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 02:08:15 -0500
RE: SuSE 9.3:

I just discovered something I don't understand: I have a microphone connected
to the machine, and a couple of speakers. But the mic is activating the
speakers! This should not be. The mic should only be activated when
something like Skype tells the system to connect the mic to the outgoing
message. Skype is vox-operated--when you talk into the mic, the incoming
audio is cut off, and the mic becomes predominant. When you stop talking the
incoming audio rules. Otherwise, there is feedback, which I noticed the last
couple of times I tried to use Skype.

When I first tried Skype, it worked perfectly--better than in Windows. Since
then, I have not been able to use it, due to considerable break-up. I
suspect that I have found the cause, but what is the cure, does anyone know?

(I rebooted Linux, without a complete shutdown, in case there was some hung
program doing this to me, but when the system came up again, the same
peculiarity ocurred.)

I have no other OS on this machine, so I can't compare the performance. It
could be hardware related, i suppose, but I have no way of telling. The
sound stuff is on the MOBO. The goofy performance does not show up during
reboot, so I doubt that the MOBO is the problem.

I seem to have more weird problems than anything I see on the list. I seem to
recall that in the early days, someone suggested a chicken foot? Maybe that
was a different Linux list.

--doug