[opensuse] Interesting video finding.
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:33:59 -0500
Now that I'm taking some time off, I started to look further into tweaking
this box. One common problem was that I didn't care for a PERCEIVED slowness
in my nVidia 16X performance, and of course because of well known continual
driver problems blamed nVidia that I had to reduce the color depth to 16 so
that DVDs would play without any "jerkyness".

Today I was checking out a lot of hardware settings and found that the second
DVD drive, a non-writer, wasn't set properly by openSUSE. The writer's DMA
setting was ultra133, but it was off for the 2nd drive. I set it for ultra133
and then tested it ripping DVDs, etc., to see if it would do so
accurately.....no losss. It did.....great!

Then I had the "wild" idea that just maybe with better transfer rates, I'd
change the video setting back to 24 bit and see if the "jerky" display while
playing a DVD returned. It didn't! So, if you have that problem, play around
with the DMA settings on your DVD drive.

Fred

--
MickySoft, the ultimate corporate parasite.