Re: [opensuse] SUSE repository
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:46:22 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-01-02 at 11:12 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:

> > Firing that module takes half an hour or more in my system (10.1).
>
> Definitely get rid of ZMD on 10.1
> http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources
> http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources/10.1

It doesn't explain there what removing ZMD would affect.

| Sources here can either be added using YaST, or by using the rug
| command-line tool, or thirdly by using the excellent Smart package
| manager. Since there were problems with ZMD (of which rug is the
| command-line tool) we recommend that you use the Smart Package Manager,
| instead of YaST and rug.

If removing ZMD means not using Yast, I don't see how that would solve
Yast speed problem!

> > It could use an rsync method instead of full download of the metadata.
>
> Most servers don't provide rsync but only HTTP and/or FTP.
> And it wouldn't help much anyway because when the metadata is generated
> again, all the metadata files are modified. RPM-MD metadata files are
> even gzipped, so it's very unlikely rsync's binary deltas would be a big
> help to reduce the download size.

The repodata directory of packman contains about 2.5 MB for 10.2 and more
than double for 10.1; yours is about 2 Mb. That's very noticiable for a
modem. If than could be reduced somehow, it would be very nice. For a
modem that means... seven minutes download. For an adsl at 100KB/S it's
under a minute, not important compared to the half an hour it takes
processing or who knows what.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.