Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: Ken Jennings <ken_jennings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 20:42:09 -0500
On Sunday 31 December 2006 20:05, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Sunday 2006-12-31 at 16:09 -0800, Kai Ponte wrote:
> > Server database. When determining if results were found, I put a default
> > "not found" message: "No results found - Bummer."
> >
> > When I gave a demo, the "bummer" message came up, as I had forgotten to
> > remove it. I instantly apologized and told the administrative staff I'd
> > remove the message. They told me to leave it in, as they "needed some
> > humor in the department."
>
> Programmers seem to have a "funny" sense of humour. I remember reading a
> report about a book in the old PC Magazine; I don't remember if it was
> undocumented windows or undocumented dos. It seems a programmer had to put
> a goto statement in the code and named the label something like
> "icantbelieveihadtouseagotostatement" or some thing like that ;-)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away we had a controller program for a
in-house database in the Air Force that had to clean itself up nicely if the
rest of the application was signalled to die. It was an independent process
not related as parent or child, but logically considered superior to the
applications. The function to do this located the controller process, put
the PID in a variable called "daBoss", and issued kill( daBoss, ...); It
was very popular during the code review.