Re: [opensuse] Routing Question
  • From: Toshi Esumi <suse_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:11:37 -0800
On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 16:46 -0600, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> On 12/31/2006 Toshi Esumi wrote:
> > or loadbalancing, or ISP2 as the backup in case ISP1's connection is
> > down.
>
> Yeah. Something like that. It's a royal pain in the B___ to have to pull
> the computer out and switch cables then reboot to get the new address
> right in the middle of doing something. Once upon a time long long ago
> in one of my windows setups I had a setting where I could use the high
> speed through the local network or it would automatically connect
> through the modem and share the connection if the high speed failed.
>
> Load sharing would be nice sometimes, like doing multiple downloads with
> kget or ktorrent.
>
> AND an automatic backup connection would be great. One drops and the
> other just takes up the load.
I don't know how Linux routing works for your requirement but the
device that make the routing decision needs to detect a connectivity
down on one of ISPs. The simplest idea is to switch the default gateway
from the router for your main ISP to the other when you found the main
ISP is down.
Another solution is to have a device specifically designed for load
balancing for two internet connections. We used one of those, namely
Nexland ISB Pro 800, in our office until a couple of months ago but I
decided taking it out. Because it was causing strange problems, like
intermittent connection loss without ISP's problems. It was too cheap
for office use, I guess (US$400). It can be set to ping public IPs via
both interfaces to detect connection downs. Idea itself was good but
just didn't work well for us.

Toshi