Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:09:36 -0800
On Sunday 31 December 2006 05:12, James Knott wrote:
> Kai Ponte wrote:
> >> Many businesses like to customize their systems. Some do not care for
> >> such "frivolous" things.
> >
> > Remind me never to work wherever it is you're at. :)
>
> Actually, where I am currently is fine. I have lots of time to play
> with Linux. However, in previous positions, I have built custom
> desktops and also supported them. Some companies lock things down so
> much, users can't change anything.

Tell me about it! We're going live Tuesday with a massive system, which has
been pushed out to about 1000 (Wintendo) desktops. Some are so locked down
that the system just doesn't work. We've been working through this for weeks
now. (sigh)

OTOH, I once wrote an imaging front-end for a Sheriff department here in
SoCal.

http://www.filesite.org/viewtopic.php?t=173

The interface was to an IMS database, DB2 database (both on AS390's) and a SQL
Server database. When determining if results were found, I put a default "not
found" message: "No results found - Bummer."

When I gave a demo, the "bummer" message came up, as I had forgotten to remove
it. I instantly apologized and told the administrative staff I'd remove the
message. They told me to leave it in, as they "needed some humor in the
department."

AFAIK, it is still there today.

--
kai - theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...