Re: [opensuse] Hibernate on Lid-close - OpenSuSE 10.2
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:53:44 -0800
On Saturday 30 December 2006 16:11, Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 18:09 -0700, jim barnes wrote:
> > You'll find that in /etc/sysconfig/powersave/events
> > Look for EVENT_BUTTON_LID_CLOSED="screen_saver"
> > Change to any value such:
> > Possible Values: notify, wm_shutdown, wm_logout, standby,
> > suspend_to_disk, suspend_to_ram, screen_saver, switch_vt, ignore or any
> > value
> >
> > Also available via YaST>System>/etc/sysconfig Editor
>
> Amazing now a laptop can shut down when closed. I had always wondered
> how that security hole would be closed.

I am confused as to what you mean by "security hole" when referring to the
laptop closing.

I personally loook at it as a guarantee against battery loss, since I won't
forget to shut the stupid thing off after I close the lid. :)

> It was one of the reasons I
> hesitated about buying a laptop.
>
> One question does this also save state? If your in a program logging in
> to that user restores that state such as being in the middle of email or
> letter writing in OOo your back up when you log in?

Yes - All documents, emails, web pages and - most importantly - games are
restored.

The only thing I've noticed is that you might lose your session state for SSL
encrypted web pages.

Life is a far sight better for us laptop users than back in '99 when I was
running Mandrake 6 on my P133 laptop. :)
--
kai - theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx

wo ist der ort für den ehrlichsten kuss
ich weiss, dass ich ihn für uns finden muss...