Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:04:42 -0500
BandiPat wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 22:33, James Knott wrote:
> [...]
>
>> How do you know what is good for a business environment? Many want
>> heavily customized systems. Many are conservative and don't care for
>> such things. However, whatever the reason, there should be a
>> reasonable method for changing it, not instructions that don't work.
>>
>> As for that URL, that page says Fedora. How is someone supposed to
>> know about that and that it applies to SUSE? Why should it be so
>> difficult for someone to find the instructions? They don't have to
>> do so to change the desktop. Also, according to what I see on that
>> page, some "adjustment" will be necessary to get it to work with
>> SUSE.
>>
>> Now about the provided instructions. When at that screen you press
>> F1 for "About". The instructions say "Edit gfxboot.cfg in
>> /boot/message. Try and follow those directions to change it. How'd
>> it go? Find the file yet? What's the point in providing
>> instructions that are flat out wrong???
>>
>> Once again, without performing far more searching than is reasonable,
>> how does someone who hasn't read Factory list messages, know about
>> how to change it? Is it in SUSE help? A man page? Is it anywhere
>> on the system?
>>
> ===========
> James,
> What's up with you? Too much coffee, been up too long, PMS? You're not
> usually this way when asking questions or answering them. What
> happened that put you in such a mood?

One thing I've found with Linux is that someone will put in something
they think is "cool" and then make it difficult or impossible for
someone who disagrees to change. In this case, not is it not obvious
how to change, but the provided instructions are wrong. Yet despite
this, some here think that because they or their kids like something,
I'm supposed to as well. While this may be minor issue, the fact
remains that something that should be easy to change, isn't. And as I
mentioned, that sort of thing may not be appreciated in the corporate
world, where I have been directly involved in building and supporting
customized systems. I don't have a problem with that sort of login
screen appearing in the holiday period, but it shouldn't be default with
incorrect instructions for changing. Perhaps if there'd been a choice
of options available, as there is for so many other things in Linux,
such as desktop themes etc.

I guess part of the issue here is the attitude of some here seems to be
"don't like it? tough."

> I would think you would understand that OpenSUSE is for the general
> masses, not necessarily for business. Usually SLES/SLED are reserved
> for business use and they are quite serious about business. When did
> it become bad to have a little fun with programming? If you really
> look deeply, you find a little human nature in every program. And how
> many people reboot their Linux systems? Eight seconds of marching
> penguins is going to ruin the concept of Linux?
>
> Just wondered and surprised at all this yelling from you.
>
> bye

I didn't know there was a law against using OpenSUSE for business use.
Just before Christmas, I set up one box at work with OpenSUSE 10.2. We
plan to use it for remote monitoring of communications systems (as soon
as I get PPTP working on it). There are also many businesses for whom
SLES or SLED may not be the right choice.