Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: Glenn Holmer <gholmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:00:54 -0600
On Saturday 30 December 2006 20:59, Benjamin Rosenberg wrote:
> Now please stop lecturing us on what is good for a business
> environment and what isn't .. because boot screens DO NOT qualify as
> something to worry about in this instance. There are a great many of
> us who have been in corporate environments for a great many years and
> what you're saying is complete CRAP .. it's a boot screen you see for
> a few seconds when you start your computer .. w00p!

First, drop the attitude. Then consider this scenario: your CEO calls
you and says "I understand we've been using this Linux thing for the
last eight years; I'd like to know more about it." When you explain
that you run it not only on the servers in the machine room but also on
your workstation and your laptop, he asks you to come to his office and
show it to him. You grab your laptop bag, walk into his office, switch
it on, and... first impressions are everything.

I realize a lot of people actually like it (e.g. small children), but
even at home, I find it silly. In any case, it's not well implemented;
long menu lines extend past the "ice sheet" and f-key popup menus get
corrupted if a penguin is in the area.

I think the instructions for penguin neutralization bear repeating:

(as root)
cd /boot
cp message message.original
cd ~
mkdir temp
cd temp
cpio -iv < /boot/message
[edit gfxboot.cfg and change to "penguin=0"]
ls | cpio -ov > /boot/message

You can always copy back message.original if you feel pangs of
conscience at what you did to the penguins.

I've just done it on three desktops and a laptop here at home, and it's
easy and fast. I plan to do the same when I return to work after the
holiday and finish upgrading our web servers and intranet to openSUSE
10.2.

--
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM)
http://www.lyonlabs.org/commodore/c64.html