Re: [opensuse] Routing Question
  • From: Mike Noble <mgnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:06:45 -0800
On Saturday 30 December 2006 21:51, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> ka1ifq wrote:
> > Yes they are on the same subnet, but there is no direct connect only via
> > the router. I would like to do a direct connect between them just for the
> > VNC and would have to be on another subnet (as I see it) , thus all the
> > questions (I'm learning).
> > Thanks, Mike
>
> If they are on the same subnet, both connecting through the router to
> the internet, you can already connect through the router's switch. They
> don't need a direct connection. It is probably a 100Mbps network, and
> should easily handle the bandwidth.
>
> --
> Joe Morris
> Registered Linux user 231871 running openSUSE 10.2 x86_64

If they are on the same subnet then it would have to look like this:

internet or firewall

router
subnet 182.168.1 | | subnet 192.168.1

Under this layout the router would not know which subnet to route to.
It must there for either be different subnets or both machines are
connected to the same interface and therefor can talk to each other
without having to access the router.

Mike