Re: [opensuse] Getting rid of "Marching Penguins"
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:03:22 +0800
James Knott wrote:
> I don't subscribe to the Factory mailing list.
Nor do I.
> Why should it be
> necessary to subscribe to any mailing list to disable such a thing.

It isn't. I said nothing about subscribing, only that the answer was
there. Subscribing now would not get you the answer, since that was
some time ago. You asked for the answer on this mailing list, which had
that question asked and answered a couple of weeks ago. You are also a
member of this list already, but obviously did not pay attention to that
answer. Your penalty is to search in the archives, either this one to
find the link to the Factory list where the answer came from the SUSE
programmer that made it, or to search there. No subscription necessary.
> Your kids may love it, but many people don't.
Like I said, it is all about choice. It was programmed to be random
(default config), showing up more often during Christmas time. It will
become more seldom on its own. I read the previous thread here and
turned mine on all the time for my home machines (I think it is a great
piece of work). I could have disabled it entirely.
> It's not appropriate for
> use in a business.

A boot screen? What business using Linux boots often enough for it to
matter?
> So, how do I get rid of it?
>
>From Steffen's email on the Factory list (Since you obviously do not
want to take the time to search for it yourself, but would rather debate
it).
> > # mkdir foo
> > # cd foo
> > # cpio -i </boot/message
> >
> > # edit something
> >
> ># find | cpio -o >/boot/message
You edit gfxboot.cfg, for your case, replacing -1 with 0.

--
Joe Morris