Re: [opensuse] Asus M2N SLI
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:23:51 -0800
On Saturday 30 December 2006 20:11, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2006/12/30 19:49 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz apparently typed:
> > On Saturday 30 December 2006 18:45, Felix Miata wrote:
> >> On 2006/12/30 19:02 (GMT-0500) André Malin apparently typed:
> >>
> >> Any particular reason why a board from a more cooperative
> >> manufacturer wouldn't suffice?
> >> http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html
> >
> > What on Earth is the significance of how "cooperative" a vendor is?
> > Who needs there cooperation? You look at their hardware. If it's
> > suits your needs and has support under Linux, you can choose it. If
> > not, you don't.
> >
> > For the life of me, I don't understand this vendetta against ASUS.
>
> Either you retained nothing from reading the provided link, or you
> didn't read it.

I read it once upon a time (note that it's two and a half years old,
now). But I own an ASUS board now and I like it.

The article strikes me as written by someone who has decided he has a
beef against ASUS and is going to take it out in print.

> Modern mass produced components do not have a 0%
> failure rate.

We're not talking about hardware failures, are we? We're talking
about "support" for Linux. And that is irrelevant.

> Quite typically with modern vendors when the first 30
> days after purchase has passed, they require the purchaser to deal
> with the manufacturer if warranty issues arise. When you think you
> have a warranty claim, you must convince the manufacturer you have a
> reasonable claim before they will authorize a warranty procedure.
> Good luck to you overcoming this obstacle when Asus learns you use
> Linux.

I suppose your "graceful" conversations preclude lying to the
manufacturer, but you don't own them such a courtesy. Tell them you're
running Windows and the board doesn't work. It won't boot and all you
can do is remove it and return it.

But this takes us back to the business of how much of one's time it's
worth to deal with RMAs and all that rigamarole. You're better off in
every way to simply replace a board that fails outside its warrantee
period and move on.

> Asus' horrid web site is reason enough to avoid their products
> anyway.

Of what concern is their Web site? It's good enough to retrieve BIOS
updates, and that is the one and only thing you need from a mainboard
vendor after you've purchased their hardware.

Randall Schulz