Re: [opensuse] Asus M2N SLI
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:16:34 -0800
On Saturday 30 December 2006 20:02, Bob Ewart wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 December 2006 18:45, Felix Miata wrote:
> >> On 2006/12/30 19:02 (GMT-0500) André Malin apparently typed:
> >>
> >> Any particular reason why a board from a more cooperative
> >> manufacturer wouldn't suffice?
> >
> > What on Earth is the significance of how "cooperative" a vendor is?
> > Who needs there cooperation? You look at their hardware. If it's
> > suits your needs and has support under Linux, you can choose it. If
> > not, you don't.
> >
> > For the life of me, I don't understand this vendetta against ASUS.
> >

> > Randall Schulz
>
> You said it. ASUS motherboards don't have support under Linux.

That statement is not even logical. It's the components on the board
that either do or do not have drivers. It doesn't matter whether ASUS
selects those components or some other manufacturer does.

This is all the more true, since we've now decided that proprietary
drivers are evil. Since Novell won't ship manufacturer's proprietary
drivers, there's no consequence to whether ASUS (or any other mainboard
vendor) supplies such drivers.

Right?

> See http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>
> They state quite clearly > Currently only support ASUS Notebook and
> Motherboard for Microsoft Windows.

Answer this question: What is the significance of this "support?" From
all I can tell, it's "none at all."

Who needs this "support" from the vendor? I mean, if there's a defective
component or a failure within warrantee, then they should fix it. Other
than that, the mainboard manufacturer is irrelevant to everyday
installation and use of an operating system.

> --
> Bob

Randall Schulz