Re: [opensuse] Changing users temp folder
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:07:54 +1100
Jeffery Fernandez wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to change the users temp folder location from /tmp to ~/tmp ?

When I was using mandriva I was used to having my tmp folder within my home directory. This way when I download a file which happens to be a pdf and gets opened by an other application like kpdf, the file gets stored in my ~/tmp folder than the systems tmp folder.

This is advantages for the user to just go to their home/tmp folder to save any files they download to an other location rather than navigating back to the root of the file system to fetch the document from /tmp

I don't know what dis-advantages it would have by being in the users home directory. On the other hand having it store the temp files under /tmp is a privacy issue I would think.

You have the choice of specifying where all your downloads should go when a download is initiated. I created a directory called Downloads in my ~/home and everything I download goes there. Cannot see why you can't do the same.

Cheers.