Re: [opensuse] Routing Question
  • From: ka1ifq <ka1ifq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:38:22 -0500
On Saturday 30 December 2006 19:44, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 11:03, ka1ifq wrote:
> > Hello All:
> >
> > I have a home network with 6 mixed os machines connected to a router for
> > internet access, this all works great. I would like to add another
> > network card to my main machine just for a VNC connection on a seperate
> > network, as this would be an endpoint I am not sure how to proceed and
> > all of the books I have don't cover anything like this or are just too
> > old.
>
> What is an "endpoint"?
>
> Do you mean that it will be connected directly to the internet (the same
> one your router is connected to) or do you have another network
> connection all together (another router?)
>
> Also do you intend to run VNC as a server, (allowing others
> to connect to your machine) or are you only running
> VNC as a client (connecting to other machines located elsewhere)?
>
> Either of the above, over the same internet connection should
> not require a separate nic. Perhaps just a entry in the router
> table of the firewall/router if you are going to be a VNC server.
>
> OTOH, if it is a totally separate internet connection, all
> you need to do is slap in a nic, reboot and use Yast to
> configure it to your needs and set ROUTING = No.

Thanks for the info John.

The plan was to have a seperate connection for only 2 machines so I could use
VNC between them to not hog the main internet network.
By endpoint I meant that the end of the second network would be my main
machine, so there really needs to be no routing. It looks like I setup a
second nic in my main machine and point my remote machine at it.

Thanks, Mike