Re: [opensuse] /var/log/messages shows possible ide problems?
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:33:23 -0500
On 12/30/06, Terry Eck <terry_eck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:

> On 12/30/06, Terry Eck <terry_eck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I've been getting the following lines in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Dec 30 08:47:54 linux kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51\
>> { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>> Dec 30 08:47:54 linux kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84\
>> { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>> Dec 30 08:47:54 linux kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>>
>> Note: \ denotes CRLF I placed to reduce line length.
>>
>> Anyone know whats going on?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Terry
>

> Terry,
>
> I think that is a CRC error on your ide cable. ie. Your disk is
> reading the data fine, but in the process of sending it to the
> controller it is developing a problem. I find that bad IDE cables can
> cause this problem more often than not. In particular ATA133 is only
> speced to work on flat cables with a max. length of 18 inches. In
> general I see 2ft cables used a lot and also those round cables look
> cool and help with airflow, but they are not as good electrically as
> the flat cables.
>
> Greg

Just so happens I have those round ide cables. I also have two ide
drives hda and hdb.
hda is 80Gb Western Digital while hdb is 160Gb Maxtor. I'll try
replacing the ide
cables and also place the 160Gb drive on ide2 (hde). Hope this works and
solves the
problem.

I do have SMART set on in the BIOS along with smartd running. The command
smartctl -H /dev/hda reports:
"SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED"

Thanks for all who replied,
Terry

AKAIK, SMART only tells you about internal drive issues. It does not
help diagnose cable / controller / power issues.

For IDE I have not seen a lot of power or controller issues, so I tend
to worry about the cables a lot.

For SATA, power seems to be the main cuprit.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group