Re: [opensuse] /var/log/messages shows possible ide problems?
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:37:04 -0500
On 12/30/06, Terry Eck <terry_eck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been getting the following lines in /var/log/messages:

Dec 30 08:47:54 linux kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51\
{ DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Dec 30 08:47:54 linux kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84\
{ DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Dec 30 08:47:54 linux kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Note: \ denotes CRLF I placed to reduce line length.

Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks
Terry

Terry,

I think that is a CRC error on your ide cable. ie. Your disk is
reading the data fine, but in the process of sending it to the
controller it is developing a problem. I find that bad IDE cables can
cause this problem more often than not. In particular ATA133 is only
speced to work on flat cables with a max. length of 18 inches. In
general I see 2ft cables used a lot and also those round cables look
cool and help with airflow, but they are not as good electrically as
the flat cables.

If it is only happening occasionally the drivers should have retry
logic that corrects it.

If it is happening a lot, then the low-level driver should in theory
have step down logic that drops you from ATA-7 to ATA-6 etc. all the
way down to PIO mode. Unfortunately I don't think many ide drivers
actually implement this logic.

You can try using hdparm to lower your bus speed and see if the
problem goes away or you can try replacing your IDE cables with new
18inch ones. (Sort of hard to find actually. Most are 24 inch which
is fine for ATA100 or slower.)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer