Re: [opensuse] Finally user-friendly virtualization for Linux
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:11:22 +0100 (MET)

On Dec 29 2006 15:24, Greg Freemyer wrote:

>> > Does this mean my MAME and NESticle games will run even smoother?
>>
>> It means XEN becomes oboslete ;-)
>
> I just did a little more reading. It does look like KVM is a XEN competitor.

We've got way too much competitors. VT/KVM, VMware, QEMU, XEN, possibly
more. (No need to name them.)

> One issue is that it does not implement paravirtualization and thus
> only supports the new generation of CPUs with VT (Intel) or AMD-V
> (SVN?).

Software based [para]virtualization is already provided by xen and
vmware. It would be stupid to reinvent the wheel. KVM is basically a new
type of tyre however, designed only for specific roads.

> Especially in the Desktop world it is going to be a while before those
> are either routinely available.
>
> XEN OTOH can support Linux Guests with standard CPUs via

Does not support Windows OOTB.

> paravirtualization. (Xen too needs the new CPUs for Windows Guest
> OSes.)

Well no, there has been a patch to Windows to make it xen-compatible,
but Windows' EULA forbids distribution. (Which is what makes XEN useless
now since VMware is free.)

-`J'