RE: [opensuse] Re: cvs to subversion
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:03:17 -0800

James D. Parra wrote:

> Trying to convert a cvs repository to subversion, but I get an error when
> run;
>
> # cvs2svn -s --no-default-eol --tmpdir=/tmp/ svnrepos cvsroot

You must not call cvs2svn with the svnrepos. cvs2svn creates a
Subversion dump file that must be loaded afterwards. From my SVN
cheat sheet:

Migration of a Project from CVS to SVN:
=======================================

Create a dump file from the CVS repository:

project=XXX
cvs2svn --dump-only --dumpfile=$project.svndump --use-cvs \
--cvs-revnums --no-default-eol $CVSROOT/$project

The option --symbol-transform allows to transform tag names, e.g.,
to map hyphens or underscores to dots.

With svndumpfilter one can change the created dump file: Remove
parts of the repository, or specify which parts shall be imported.

Load the dump file into the SVN depot; to do on the SVN-Server:

svn mkdir svn+ssh://svn/$project
svnadmin load --parent-dir=$project /data/SVN/depot
<$project.svndump

There is also a script verify-svn to check the migration. This must
be tested, I haven't tried it yet.
===============

I hope that the mail gateway won't insert new lines above.
Of course, your SVN base URL (above: svn+ssh://svn/) and your SVN
repository directory (above: /data/SVN/depot/) will be different
than mine.
~~~

Thank you. It helps a lot.

What is 'project=XXX'? Is that in a file?

I created the dir called svnrepos for subversion. The cvsroot dir contains
all of the CVS data & projects. Does the above command just do one project
at a time? If so, is there a way to it all at once?

Thank you,

James