Re: [opensuse] Install WordPerfect 8 fails
  • From: "A. den Oudsten" <AdenOudsten@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:49:49 +0100

The Saturday 2006-12-23 at 05:19 -0500, Charles philip Chan wrote:

On 23 Dec 2006, AdenOudsten@ wrote:

Do you mean that I should convert install.wp ?
And how do I do such thing?

Use dos2unix

If the file resides on a CD, as I think, it could be copied over to the HD andconverted there. Also, there are options to the mount command to do the conversion on the fly - I have never used it, I'm just mentioning the posibility, or even that the automount has done some thing of the sort unasked:

conv=b[inary] / conv=t[ext] / conv=a[uto]
The fat file system can perform CRLF<-->NL (MS-DOS
text format to UNIX text format) conversion in the
kernel. The following conversion modes are available:

binary no translation is performed. This is the
default.

text CRLF<-->NL translation is performed on all
files.

auto CRLF<-->NL translation is performed on all
files that don't have a "well-known binary"
extension. The list of known extensions can be
found at the beginning of fs/fat/misc.c (as of
2.0, the list is: exe, com, bin, app, sys,
drv, ovl, ovr, obj, lib, dll, pif, arc, zip,
lha, lzh, zoo, tar, z, arj, tz, taz, tzp, tpz,
gz, tgz, deb, gif, bmp, tif, gl, jpg, pcx,
tfm, vf, gf, pk, pxl, dvi).

Programs that do computed lseeks won't like in-kernel
text conversion. Several people have had their data
ruined by this translation. Beware!

For file systems mounted in binary mode, a conversion
tool (fromdos/todos) is available.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

I did do a dos2unix conversion on install.wp and after that I got the same results with ./install.wp as before with sh ./install.wp. I get some eight new maps with no content.