Re: [opensuse] easy kde/gnome/mono questions
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:40:59 -0500
On 12/22/06, David Canar <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I now want to start experimenting with writing a Mono application.
>
> I get the impression that means I should switch to Gnome. Correct?
Why? mono is kde, gnome, or any other desktop independent, as an extra
it comes with many bindings for the gnome desktop (gnome libraries) but
you don't have to install them if you don't want to use them. Mono has
many window tool kits such as gtk-sharp, Windows.Forms, and soon a Qt 4
one (qyoto.org) all of them should work independently of the desktop you
use (they use the gtk, qt, libgdiplus libraries which come with SUSE or
mono regardless the desktop you are using) so the applications you
develop should work on any desktop that has those libraries + mono, and
for command line programs you don't even need the X server installed.
So, don't worry about switching desktops, mono works great in KDE. (and
if you are a KDE fan, the Qyoto projects will let you create KDE or
Qt-specific programs)
> And then are there any special packages I should be sure to install?

Depending on the type of programs you are planning to develop, select
the components of mono you want to install and Yast will install any
dependency it is needed.
> As a first step I just want to get the HelloWorld app they have to
> compile and run.
>
> http://www.mono-project.com/GtkSharp:_Hello_World
>
> Thanks
> Greg
As a recommendation, add the mono repository you can find on the
mono-project page to yast to get the latest mono packages and use
monodevelop to create your programs, it comes very handy.

David.

Thanks David,

For anyone reading this later the yast repository is
http://go-mono.com/download-stable/suse-102-i586

Also, I assume monodevelop is Gnome only?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group