Re: [opensuse] easy kde/gnome/mono questions
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:41:46 -0500
On 12/23/06, Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 22 December 2006 12:32, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been using SuSE with KDE for years but I don't really do any
> sophisticated GUI interaction. I pretty much just fire up a few
> terminal sessions and do my work from the command line.
>
> I now want to start experimenting with writing a Mono application.
>
> I get the impression that means I should switch to Gnome. Correct?

No, that would be disastorous. :P

> If so, how do I do that? (I don't care about current settings /
> config / etc.) I can create a new login account if that would be
> easier.

No need. Just add the GTK++ stuff and you'll be fine.

> And then are there any special packages I should be sure to install?
>
> As a first step I just want to get the HelloWorld app they have to
> compile and run.
>
> http://www.mono-project.com/GtkSharp:_Hello_World

Should take you about five minutes. The cool thing is that it runs on any
Wintendo boxen that has .net 1.1 or 2.0 installed.

Here's mine if you want to compare. I did them back in September...

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/mono/

Just as a test, I compiled and ran the .exe on my SUSE desktop at work, put it
on a USB drive, ran it from there on my laptop, then on various Win2K and XP
boxes.

AFAIK, you can even create GUI apps and run them. I'm not sure if they look as
nice as Java, though, since they use the GTK theme. It would be neat if we
could use Qt as the GUI toolkit.

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request

Kai,

Thanks, I finally took the 5 minutes to try it and it works.

It did take me a couple minute to realize I had to invoke it as "mono
helloworld.exe".

Anyway, I assume thats right sense it seems to work.

Greg

--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group