Re: [opensuse] 1394 -firewire device detection
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:43:05 -0500
On 12/28/06, James D. Parra <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to detect a hard drive connected via firewire, but I don't see
the Maxtor OneTouch drive. What can I do to locate it?

Thanks in advance,

~~~~

Let me one more detail; I am running Suse 10.0.

Thanks again,

I'm pretty sure I've used firewire with 10.0.

When you plug it in does anything show up in dmesg?

ie.
dmesg | tail -50
should provide diagnostic info related to plugging in the drive.

It should also tell which drive name is assigned. ie /dev/sda etc.

Then you can check if it was automounted by just typing mount, but if not:

fdisk -l /dev/sd? should give you a list of partitions.

mount /dev/sd?1 /mnt etc should allow you to manually mount it.

Once you have all of that working you can come back and look at your
automount logic. (I don't know much about that. I typically prefer
manual mounts so I have full control.)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer