Re: [opensuse] Release Cycle
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:04:32 -0500
On 2006/12/27 20:17 (GMT-0900) John Andersen apparently typed:

> On Wednesday 27 December 2006 17:09, Felix Miata wrote:

>> I think
>> Mandriva's switch to 12 months from 6 was a mistake.

> Not for people who have something to do with their machines
> other than install operating systems.

> I would vote for 1 year releases and a three year maintenance
> window. Kernel development has slowed down somewhat
> and having new releases as frequently as in the past
> seems less needed.

I'd be fine with that, if maintenance included all types of bug fixes
rather than just security fixes, but that's just not the way it is with
either SUSE or Mandriva. It's bad enough seeing bugs reported 2 releases
past still not fixed in the most recent release without waiting twice as
long for new releases to not have those fixes. New features I could do
without for 5 years, but not brokenness to trip over daily. Monthly
upgrades wouldn't be too often for me if real bug fixes were the reason
why rather than feature bloat.
--
"Let your conversation be always full of grace." Colossians 4:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409