Re: [opensuse] Setting up NFS with Suse 10.2
  • From: Dave Howorth <Dave.Howorth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:16:18 +0000
On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 20:52 +0100, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> Onsdag 27 december 2006 20:47 skrev Verner Kjærsgaard:
> > Onsdag 27 december 2006 20:33 skrev Tim Erickson:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I'm looking to set up Suse 10.2 to share files between several
>
> text cut away..
>
> I forgot, beware of the firewall in your server. Best, shut it down while
> experienting, then back on. I don't remember which ports to open, ask the
> list :-)

Tim,

Don't know anything about 10.2 but I doubt it's changed much. NFS is
very stable.

Verner is right. NFS is easy if you RTFM first. man nfs, man exports.
Once you have the /etc/exports file set up on the server, the basic
command on the server is 'exportfs -a'. Once you have the /etc/fstab
file set up on the client the basic command is 'mount -a'.

The firewall is the gotcha. For that reason, I might use YaST to set up
the server (or just turn the firewall off as verner suggests). But if
you do use YaST, go and check /etc/exports and /etc/fstab by hand. Make
sure that you understand what each option is for and that it's what you
want (hint: the default that YaST sets in /etc/exports isn't what I'd
want)

HTH, Dave

PS Don't use NIS!