[opensuse] OpenOffice.org - Microsoft Office interoperability
  • From: "Michael Leuty" <mike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:41:28 +0000
I am doing my little bit for Linux evangelism (ho ho!) by introducing
it in a certain Church Office where I am the closest thing they have
to an IT expert.

I have discovered that when supporting a Linux desktop in a working
environment, reliability is more important than having the latest
bleeding edge software. Naturally I am using SUSE. :-)

I have also discovered that in a working environment, people are
interested in good interoperability between open source and Microsoft
products. It's an unfair world, but the failure of OpenOffice.org to
read/write Microsoft Office files with complete accuracy is perceived
as the fault of "that Linux computer" and the secretary who uses it.
How I wish that the people with these erroneous beliefs would join
this mailing list, to have contumely and vituperation poured upon
their heads, but somehow I don't think they will.

My question is this. Is the Microsoft XML filter that comes with the
SUSE 10.2 version of OpenOffice.org more accurate in conversion than
the DOC filter? If files were exchanged in (MS) XML format would the
conversion be 100% accurate?

If so, then we could respond to criticism by saying that the problem
is not the Linux computer but the fact that they are using out-of-date
Microsoft products, and propose that they purchase an upgrade to
Office 2003. Or install OOo, of course. :-)

Mike

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK