Re: [opensuse] Re: memories?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:54:29 -0800
On Tuesday 26 December 2006 21:33, Tom Patton wrote:
> Hey, thanks for the reminder, I just found it in my 9.3, showing the
> kids now.
> Does anyone remember Lisa the analyst? That'll blow the kids minds!
> Or was it Elsie...durn can't remember now!

There are lots of Eliza implementations out there. Here's an on-line
version: <http://nlp-addiction.com/eliza/>.

Here's a little transcript (* is me, > is the Eliza-bot):

* I'm having trouble...
> How long have you been having trouble?
* Years!
> OK... "I'm having trouble". Tell me more.
* Well, my cat keeps telling me to do things that I know are wrong, but
I feel compelled to do them.
> Do you often feel compelled to do them?
* Always.
> Really, always?
* Yeah. I'm going to get in trouble.
> Do you believe it is normal to be going to get in trouble?
* Yes. He told me to steal my neighbor's car!
> I see.

It was really a pretty stupid program. Weisenbaum wrote it to
demonstrate how unintelligent computers were even when they seemed to
be using language, but some people, notably his secretary, came to
believe that it really understood them. Or so he claimed.

I do recommend "Computer Power and Human Reason." In fact, it's been so
many years, I should probably re-read it, myself.

> Tom in NM

How does it feel to be Tom in NM?

Randall Schulz