Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:26:29 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2006-12-26 at 11:38 -0500, Mike McMullin wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-12-25 at 16:05 +0000, John K Masters wrote:

> > > I'm afraid it can't go there. Even explanations on how to bypass those
> > > "limitations" can not go to the site where Novell is responsible and could
> > > be sued. At least, so I understood.
> > >

> Please note that I'm not complaining about Carlos' reply to me. He's
> raised a valid concern and I'm trying to think of alternatives,
> including a non-official site, user sponsored.

I didn't intend my remark as a rebuke or anything of the sort; I just
tried to mention an unfortunate (for us) fact, that Novell can not include
in their site (I suppose they are legally responsible somewhat for what
appears in the opensuse site) not only software bypassing licenses and
patents (even if questionable) of others, in order to enjoy a "full
multimedia experience", but even they can not include links nor
explanations on how to get that needed software.

We may be angry or mad or distressed or whatever, but Novell can't do
otherwise: they could be sued. Even a threat to be sued can be damaging
for them, they are a USA company. That's my understanding; how do you say?
Ah, IANAL.

So, that information has to go elsewhere. You mention another non official
site: that could be a possibility.

> > Peace and goodwill to all men (and women)
>
> Do I detect a note of humourous irony? :)

I didn't. Being accused by John of being hostile is in itself hostile. And
replying to a mail with text quoted from me, with my name above, is not a
general accusation, but an accusation pointed at me directly. That's my
feeling, and he hasn't given excuses yet. I don't feel that as "humorous",
sorry.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.