Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:54:47 -0800
On Monday 25 December 2006 07:21, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Dec 25 2006 13:39, Niels Østergaard Kjær wrote:
> >many fine letters on the goodbye subject
> >and the subject installs as a secondary desktop.
> >
> >There is a third aspect too, the Linux wall.
> >
> >As a newbie we have to fight the total lack of knowledge (it is X-mas
>
> All newbies please read http://vtbsd.net/notwindows.html (also applies
> to Linux and quite any community projects) section 3, 3a and 3b,
> *ESPECIALLY* the lego analogy.

I've been instructed on numerous occasions to read this article. I find it
annoying. I suppose I should write something to refute it, but have more
interesting things to do.

In any case, those of us who are complaining that Linux or BSD are not "like
Windows" do so because we want to accomplish tasks like our friends, family
and peers do.

We want to write documents, play games, browse the intraweb, listen to music,
watch videos, calcualate our retirement, pay taxes (okay, we don't WANT to do
that, but...), share pictures, chat with friends/peers/family, and possibly
do some programming.

I seriously doubt most peeps care whether these tasks are done on SUSE 10.2 or
Windows 3.1, but just want to make sure they are done.

:)

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request