Re: [opensuse] Re: Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: "John Pierce" <john.j35@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:38:10 -0600
Back about 1998 I was a newbie, I remember my first install and the
fun I had. I installed Redhat downloaded and did the rpm install. I
got the the log in prompt and logged in as root. I had no clue how to
do even a simple directory listing. I went back to windows and surfed
the web, i found some documentation about the man command and one
suggested to type man ls. Imagine what I learned.

Now to the present, I occasionally run into trouble and eventually ask
for help, but before I do that I search google and other lists and
possibly find the answer. As for myself I can state that when I post
a question to the list it is because I have not found a solution
elsewhere. I have found that newbies posting questions are very often
greeted with a certain amount of hostility because the that very
question was asked and answered just a few posts prior. From this it
is obvious that the newbie failed to even try to find the solution on
their own or they would have found the prior postings.

Over time and repeated searches you will learn things along the way
that were secondary to the problem at hand. That knowledge is
cumulative, and will aide you in solving future problems. Point is,
at try to find the answer yourself and you will probably find you will
learn a lot more than just how to fix that given problem.

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org