Re: [opensuse] Boxed 10.2 orders
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:24:36 +0100
On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 03:44:33PM -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Monday 25 December 2006 15:21, Tom Patton wrote:
> > Ok, now this is really wierd and disturbing...
> >
> > I just received a second reply from Digital River, and it conflicts
> > with the first "backorder" excuse.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no longer any real reason to
> purchase the commercial release of Novell's SuSE Linux, right?
>
> I want to support SuSE Linux development, but there has to be some kind
> of quid pro quo. As it stands, there simply is no up-side to purchasing
> the commercial release. We (North American purchasers) are forced to go
> through the Novell / Digital River (with whom I've had many successful
> and satisfactory transactions in the past) to acquire this release,
> implying there is not even the mere possibility of competitive pricing.
> Furthermore, the on-line repositories contain a superset of the package
> complement of the commercial product. From that perspective, it's
> simply foolish to purchase this release.
>
> It really seems that Novell does not even want to generate $ale$! My
> best guess is that openSUSE is just a means of beta testing the
> Enterprise products. Frankly, I'm fine with that, but I surely hope
> they don't count on purchases of the SuSE Linux product, 'cause there's
> just no reason to buy it.

This is correct. It is no longer important to generate revenue with
openSUSE sales.

openSUSE is however and will stay our flagship homeuser product, it will
not go away when no boxes are sold.

The goal is mainly a presence in the desktop and homeuser market, and
also a trying bed for the latest and greatest new technologies.

So you can feel good when downloading and installing it, you are welcome.

(And I am the guy who gives you 2 years of security updates for it,
even if you just download it.)

Ciao, Marcus