Re: [opensuse] 'Goes along with those mad at Novell/SUSE and leave.
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:11:24 +0100
On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 04:54:34PM -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Monday December 25 2006 5:10 am, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > > You can't win the desktop if you don't even try. Right now, few in the
> > > Linux world are seriously trying. And time is running out.
> > >
> > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.h
> > >tml#id247970
> >
> > But this is not a Linux problem, it is more a problem of the current
> > state in the software industry where everything multimedia interesting
> > requires per-copy royalties, NDAs, closed source and so on.
>
> Partially correct. Don't forget that MickySoft has and will continue to do ALL
> it can to shut Linux OUT of the desktop maket. Some have said they don't fear
> Linux, which is about as ignorant a position as one can take. They know full
> well how much money they have lost in the server market. They're scared
> spitless that the same thing will happen on the desktop, and they'are RIGHT,
> IF and ONLY IF the issues of DRM are eliminated and there's better hardware
> support. Applications will come along fine, if there other 2 are taken care
> of.

If you think it is just Microsoft blocking Linux on the Desktop, this is just not true.

MP3 - Thompson / AudioMPEG group
DVD - various consortiums, starting from The MPEG Group, Dolby
and the DVD consortium itself

WMV/WMA - well, a Microsoft problem but these could be easily replaced
even usuable for Windows users.

DRM - not really accepted even by Windows users. Or circumvented easily.
Just walk through the city with open eye and see burned CDs played
in CD recorders... And I just doubt all the music on the MP3 players
is legally bought.
DRM in my eyes is a non-issue at this time.

CIao, MArcus