Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:35:33 -0800

John E. Perry wrote:
> Anders Norrbring wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>> What bugs?
>>
>> My highly unqualified guess would be the bugs in reiser4, which isn't a
>> part of any respected distribution anyway.. :)
>
> My (at least equally unqualified guess) is the bugs in reiser3 that
> cause occasional partition corruption.

I've been using SuSE Linux since 2000 or so, and heavily since 2004, both on
my own systems (desktop, laptop and server), and the data centers where I
consult. Except for some filesystem benchmarking tests, I've always run
reiserfs everywhere. I've never lost data. The worst I've ever seen was the
occasional reiserfsck when the power went out, but otherwise no problems of
any kind. I'm not sure what bugs you are referring to, but I've certainly
never heard of them, other than some urban legend type stories involving
non-SuSE kernels and/or questionable hardware.

Eventually there may be clearly better choices, but there is certainly no
reason at this point to rush into a filesystem switch.

Joe