Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:55:07 -0900
On Monday 25 December 2006 11:48, John E. Perry wrote:
>> That's a normal thing for any filesystem. All can get corrupted -
>> otherwise, the fsck utility would not
>> even exist.
>
> Sure.  But it's rare enough with ext2 that I never had a problem that I
> couldn't identify as a hardware disk crash

Then, I suggest you have had the benefit of a charmed exitance. ;-)
My experience with ext2 has been maddening to say the least. The mere
fact that the developers felt the need to bolt journaling on top of ext2
should tell you something about its reliability. Ext3 is nothing but ext2
(still as risky as ever) with a journal tagging along to clean up the ext2
mess.

My ext2 usage suggests ANY abnormal shutdown was likely to corrupt
it, and EVERY power failure was certain to. It remains to be seen if ext3
can overcome this problem.

OTOH, i've never lost anything with reiser, crash, power fail, or kernel
panic. Over the years I've had to reiserfsck maybe 3 times on 6 or 8
machines. (this dates back to 8.x when I switched to reiser.).

The stated reasons for suse switching away from reiser had nothing to do
with reliability. It was scalability and features for more complex indexing
and a small developer community.

> and several people on this
> list complained of mysterious reiser3 partition corruption.

But, but, but...
You can't come to a mutual help list and then turn around a say
See, look at all the problems!!! If you follow that theory you would
never run suse at all. Or Ubuntu. Or windows. You'd get out
of computers completely. When was the last time you saw a
post about stuck abacus beads?

People without problems don't post.