Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:08:42 -0500
James Knott wrote:
> John E. Perry wrote:
>> Just two problems: first, I took others' advice again to switch from
>> Reiser to ext3fs, but my home directory is too big to get onto cd's or
>> dvd's, so I now have a system based on ext3fs except for the /home
>> directory, which is still Reiser. I'm digging through the home
>> directories so I can divide it onto several dvds, but it's going to take
>> a while.
>>
> Since you're blowing away most of the system anyway, why not just create
> a new ext3 partition and copy /home to it. Then, when you install the
> new system, just mount that ext3 partition as /home. You can use a
> rescue CD to create the new partition and copy /home.

THat's a possibility, but I'm already nervous about monkeying with
partitions that have valuable data on them. And the / crash last week
reinforces my nervousness.

> Incidentally, you may want to invest in an external USB hard drive.
> They're cheap these days and can hold a lot of data. I've got one here
> that's 160 GB. It currently contains a couple of generations of backup
> from two computers.

Hmm. I blew off the tiny, hyperexpensive usb drives a couple of years
ago, but haven't looked at them recently. That could work well. I had
been reading up on nfs, thinking about connecting it to my laptop and
using it to back up my data. I also made a quick try to get ftp
working, but didn't succeed immediately, and never got back to it.

--

John Perry