Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:26:44 -0500
John E. Perry wrote:
> Just two problems: first, I took others' advice again to switch from
> Reiser to ext3fs, but my home directory is too big to get onto cd's or
> dvd's, so I now have a system based on ext3fs except for the /home
> directory, which is still Reiser. I'm digging through the home
> directories so I can divide it onto several dvds, but it's going to take
> a while.

Since you're blowing away most of the system anyway, why not just create
a new ext3 partition and copy /home to it. Then, when you install the
new system, just mount that ext3 partition as /home. You can use a
rescue CD to create the new partition and copy /home.

Incidentally, you may want to invest in an external USB hard drive.
They're cheap these days and can hold a lot of data. I've got one here
that's 160 GB. It currently contains a couple of generations of backup
from two computers.