Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse and why not stay, The Linux Wall
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:56:50 +0100

Niels Østergaard Kjær wrote:
[...]
> then as a newbie I look for the howto recipe for how do I do it in 5
> minutes too, the links showed static pictures and no info on how to do it.

Note that it is exactly the same problem that causes no MP3 & friends
support to be available out-of-the-box on Linux distributions that
causes information on how to add it to be scattered around and, say, not
available on openSUSE.org

Unfortunately, again, software patents and abusive monopolism (and this
time I'm talking about the MPEG Group) as well as not using open codecs
is the reason it is so "difficult" to do.

Documentation can always be enhanced, of course.
Contribute your suggestions.

> my point is something about maybe to remember each of you have been
> newbies once too, so please finish lines with how to do it, not just
> mention it is possible.
>
> This is not a letter being hard on Kai or anyone else, more a
> suggestion on one way to help newbies to be a steady linux user.

Have a look at this:
http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats
and suggest how we could enhance it (i.e. make it easier to understand
and apply).

cheers
- --