Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:58:56 +1100

And to sum up once again ( I guess repetitition does nothing for some people) DO NOT UPGRADE that way.. create a separate /home area which you almost never will have to touch again. And then install every new version you get onto a clean drive. It weeds out the cr@p you install just fooling around.

I can vouch for this advice. I did this a couple of years ago, and
every update since 9.2 has left my home directory intact and fully
usable.

Just two problems: first, I took others' advice again to switch from
Reiser to ext3fs, but my home directory is too big to get onto cd's or
dvd's, so I now have a system based on ext3fs except for the /home
directory, which is still Reiser. I'm digging through the home
directories so I can divide it onto several dvds, but it's going to take
a while.

Second, I keep finding stuff I really don't want to dump, even though I
haven't looked at it in years. And may never look at again. So,
converting my home partition over to ext3fs may take a long time, if I
ever done. I just hope the deep bugs on this list keep talking about in
Reiser don't come to my system.

How big *is* your /home directory?! :-)

And how big is your / partition where Suse is intstalled? Surely it must be big enough and with enough space left for you to copy your current /home directory to / then format your current /home partition in ext3 and then it copy back from / . No, this can't be done?

Cheers.